The Pirates are done. It’s time to start thinking about football season. The Buccos blew a game they should have won easily Friday night-Saturday morning and ended up losing another series to the Brewers in Milwaukee. The Pirates had their moments this year, but reality has now set in. This team is not very good and will most likely finish with another losing record. So much for Beat Em Bucs!
* Chris Archer has been a disaster for the Pirates so far. While he may help the Pirates over the next few seasons, he has done nothing to help them in 2018. It’s not fair to call the trade with Tampa a bad one, because that will take a few years to play out. Still, the Pirates expected more from Archer and so far he hasn’t delivered at all.
* How bad have the Pirates been lately? Entering the weekend the Buccos had dropped eight of their last ten games. They had also scored runs in only five of their last sixty five innings. That’s awful production. I predicted a seventy five season at the beginning of the year. For a long time it looked like the Pirates might actually win eighty five to ninety games. Now, my pre-season prediction is looking pretty good.
* The Steelers looked terrible in their pre-season game in Green Bay. They looked really good at home against Tennessee. I liked the way the first team offense moved the ball with Big Ben getting his first action of the pre-season. The defense also looked much better. There are going to be some interesting battles for roster spots over the next week. Several youngsters have a chance to make the Steelers’ roster. I’m anxious to see how the opening day roster shakes out.
* Indiana High’s season opener was one of the wildest ones I’ve ever seen. The Indians were dominated for much of the game against Armstrong but somehow managed to tie the game late in the fourth quarter. Even though they lost in the final minute, Indiana showed me something. Brandon Overdorff has his work cut out rebuilding the Indiana High program. If his teams can play like they did in the opener, fans of Indiana will be very proud of their team.
* Count me among those who wasn’t the least bit surprised that Ohio State did not fire head coach Urban Meyer. Truth be told, I don’t think there was ever a chance they were going to fire Meyer, who will be suspended for the first three games of the season. I think the punishment is a joke, but it is exactly what I expected. The coach is one of the best to ever walk the sidelines and has the record to prove it. His legacy, however, is forever changed, and not for the better.
* I can’t wait for college football to start. IUP opens up Thursday night on the road. This should be another great year for the Crimson Hawks. If quarterback Lenny Williams can
stay healthy IUP can make another run for a national championship. The homer opener against Millersville on Thursday night, September 6th should be electric.
* Pitt and Penn State meet on September 8th. There is a lot of excitement already surrounding the game. Penn State has a ton of question marks and must replace three top playmakers on offense. The Lions will still be good with dynamite quarterback Trace McSorley running the show. Pitt, now led by Kenny Pickett, also looks to surprise. Coach Pat Narduzzi said the other day that his team will play in this year’s ACC Championship Game. I wish Pitt and Penn State would player every year, but unfortunately they won’t. Can’t wait for the upcoming game, and hope I can get a ticket to be there at Heinz Field.
* Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson will play a winner takes all match for nine million dollars over Thanksgiving weekend. Who cares? Maybe ten years ago this would have been worth watching. Nowadays, not a chance. Plus, why would anyone spend money to have to pay for it on pay per view? There will be people who have nothing better to do and decide to make these guys even richer. Not me. Not ever!
* It was great to watch Hawaii win the Little League World Series. Those kids were terrific all tournament long. They return to the islands as heroes. Well done, boys!